Bismillah.
I think we are all familiar with the tension and dread that daunts us prior to, during and after exams - not to mention that multiplied significantly when results day is close. But why?
I saw a photo on Instagram that said something along the lines of "All I want to do is learn stuff and not have compulsory tests on it, like, I love learning new stuff and reading new books, but when I stress myself out to the point where I'm crying because of exams; that kinda takes the fun out of it".
I think everybody that is studying something that they genuinely enjoy can relate to those words. Thing is, we make it sound as though it's impossible.
Solution 1: Don't go to University.
This was my plan for a long time. Secondary education is compulsory for us here in the UK as far as I know, but any other subsequent means of education aren't. For that reason, there was a time when I didn't want to be sucked into university just because society made me feel as though that's what I had to do. My personal feelings somewhat differ now and my aspirations are fresh but I just wanted to use this point to make clear that we have access to so so many resources at the click of a button on the internet or the turn of a page in a book. Hell, maybe that would even be the cheaper option since fees for university are getting ridiculously high these days. Study at your own pace, read books that you love, gain knowledge until your heart is happy and don't worry about exams.
Solution 2: Go to Uni, but take it lightly.
Again, this only really applies to those who want to go to university to gain knowledge, not those who's future career goals rely on a piece of paper with a university degree written on it. This solution is what I've been thinking about most recently. For example, as part of my course I study the Middle East, from culture to religion and History, and I love it so much. There's something so fulfilling about learning about the world, especially the Middle East which is a region that's always had my interest. Then it comes to exams, we have to choose two essay questions out of ten, based upon varied topics. I chose my questions, survived the exam and exited the hall, questioning myself as to whether what I wrote was enough or whether I discussed the most important things in my essay, whether I answered the question correctly and so on. Then I was overcome by the thought of "wait, why do I care?". All I really care about is having the knowledge that I have as a result of the prior weeks of studying. With a 40% pass rate I think I'm safe with what I've written, and that's enough for me. I am satisfied more so by knowledge, not by grades. Does a grade really tell you how clever you are? How much you know about something? Am I really going to question my knowledge based upon the fact that I may not have achieved the highest mark in an exam where I am predominantly tested on how fast I can write and how well my memory works under pressure? No, is the answer. The same thing undoubtedly applies to the learning of languages. Whether you're learning a language in school, college or university - please don't let your grades define you, rather be defined by your linguistic abilities in natural situations. In conversation with a speaker of the same language. General interraction in the country where your language of choice is spoken, etc. NOT by the grade that you got as a result of not being able to remember some vocab under exam pressure or suddenly forgetting how to answer a question presented to you in an oral exam in a language that is not your mother tongue by a man or woman that you barely know. Right now I'm studying Arabic and however much I would LOVE to get the highest grade, I know that I wouldn't be extremely disappointed with a lower grade because I am so content with how much I've learnt in just one semester. I won't let that be crushed by a grade.
That's about it really, I just thought I'd get some thoughts down on here. I really feel like exams put way too much stress on some people. Your results aren't the end of your life guys. Keep learning, keep loving what you're learning.
I know that circumstances are different for people doing the likes of dentistry, medicine or something along those sciency lines but if you fit into that category then maybe you can still take something from this post, who knows.
Until next time!
I think we are all familiar with the tension and dread that daunts us prior to, during and after exams - not to mention that multiplied significantly when results day is close. But why?
I saw a photo on Instagram that said something along the lines of "All I want to do is learn stuff and not have compulsory tests on it, like, I love learning new stuff and reading new books, but when I stress myself out to the point where I'm crying because of exams; that kinda takes the fun out of it".
I think everybody that is studying something that they genuinely enjoy can relate to those words. Thing is, we make it sound as though it's impossible.
Solution 1: Don't go to University.
This was my plan for a long time. Secondary education is compulsory for us here in the UK as far as I know, but any other subsequent means of education aren't. For that reason, there was a time when I didn't want to be sucked into university just because society made me feel as though that's what I had to do. My personal feelings somewhat differ now and my aspirations are fresh but I just wanted to use this point to make clear that we have access to so so many resources at the click of a button on the internet or the turn of a page in a book. Hell, maybe that would even be the cheaper option since fees for university are getting ridiculously high these days. Study at your own pace, read books that you love, gain knowledge until your heart is happy and don't worry about exams.
Solution 2: Go to Uni, but take it lightly.
Again, this only really applies to those who want to go to university to gain knowledge, not those who's future career goals rely on a piece of paper with a university degree written on it. This solution is what I've been thinking about most recently. For example, as part of my course I study the Middle East, from culture to religion and History, and I love it so much. There's something so fulfilling about learning about the world, especially the Middle East which is a region that's always had my interest. Then it comes to exams, we have to choose two essay questions out of ten, based upon varied topics. I chose my questions, survived the exam and exited the hall, questioning myself as to whether what I wrote was enough or whether I discussed the most important things in my essay, whether I answered the question correctly and so on. Then I was overcome by the thought of "wait, why do I care?". All I really care about is having the knowledge that I have as a result of the prior weeks of studying. With a 40% pass rate I think I'm safe with what I've written, and that's enough for me. I am satisfied more so by knowledge, not by grades. Does a grade really tell you how clever you are? How much you know about something? Am I really going to question my knowledge based upon the fact that I may not have achieved the highest mark in an exam where I am predominantly tested on how fast I can write and how well my memory works under pressure? No, is the answer. The same thing undoubtedly applies to the learning of languages. Whether you're learning a language in school, college or university - please don't let your grades define you, rather be defined by your linguistic abilities in natural situations. In conversation with a speaker of the same language. General interraction in the country where your language of choice is spoken, etc. NOT by the grade that you got as a result of not being able to remember some vocab under exam pressure or suddenly forgetting how to answer a question presented to you in an oral exam in a language that is not your mother tongue by a man or woman that you barely know. Right now I'm studying Arabic and however much I would LOVE to get the highest grade, I know that I wouldn't be extremely disappointed with a lower grade because I am so content with how much I've learnt in just one semester. I won't let that be crushed by a grade.
That's about it really, I just thought I'd get some thoughts down on here. I really feel like exams put way too much stress on some people. Your results aren't the end of your life guys. Keep learning, keep loving what you're learning.
I know that circumstances are different for people doing the likes of dentistry, medicine or something along those sciency lines but if you fit into that category then maybe you can still take something from this post, who knows.
Until next time!
Comments
Post a Comment