﷽
(In the name of Allah, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful)
السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُه
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
(May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you all)
السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُه
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
(May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you all)
I think that the title of the post speaks for itself so I'll just say that appropriate for my 10th post, below I thought of 10 reasons as to why I love being a revert to Islam, rainbow style so it seems. Enjoy.
1. Having a past...
This might raise the question of 'why would a person like the fact that they've done some things considered haram?' but of course they weren't wrong or haram to me at the time. What I'm referring to is being able to remember the abandonment of any sin, any arrogance or ignorance that I possessed beforehand, which Alhamdulillah wasn't of a drastic level since as I've before mentioned, people had told me prior to reverting that I would make a good Muslim. An example of past and present furthermore would be having experienced how women are looked at or approached at times by some men in the street with a lack of respect. I've experienced walking around having men whistle at me or give unwanted attention, and now realise and really notice the difference of how much respect comes with wearing the hijab, at least most of the time...
2. First times.
I'm grateful to Allah that due to His plan I am granted the ability to remember everything since reverting. I remember the first time I put the hijab on. I remember the first time I prayed. I remember buying my first abaya, wearing my first abaya. I remember the first time I held, looked at, read the Qur'an. I remember my first time stepping into a mosque. I remember the first time somebody said Salaam to me. I remember so much that born Muslims might not remember due to experiencing them at a younger age.
3. Instant appreciation, longing for knowledge.
Similar reasons to the above, some born Muslims (and I'm sure I would have been the same) take a while to really develop a true passion for Islam, to really start studying their religion and understanding why they believe what they believe, not just following because their parents do or praying because their parents tell them to. Being a revert, you instantly have this passion, this craving of knowledge, and we appreciate everything to do with Islam instantly. I didn't just want to know how to pray, I wanted to be able to perfect my prayers and make sure that they're all done on time. I didn't just want to learn to read the Qur'an, I want to know the meaning, the English translation, so that when I read I am not only reading but feeling. So that when I recite I recite with emotion.
4. Seeing yourself change for the best.
Change isn't always bad, and I feel better now in myself as opposed to how I did before reverting. Things just like clothing, I used to love what I wore and I would often spend time making my hair look nice to go out, whereas now I can honestly say I feel better in hijab and abaya/more modest wear. Now I simply appreciate the fashion sense and style that others have as I pass by them, staring for longer than I should at their pretty selves muahaha. And with hijab becomes an improved personality, at least for myself if other hijabis don't feel that too; "when a woman is righteous in her dress, her speech and her manners, she becomes the most beautiful of women"
5. Showing family and friends a different insight.
Something that we all need to work on as Muslims is interacting with people outside of the religion, showing them the real Islam, not what's portrayed on the media, showing them not through preaching but through simple humane actions that show the positive traits of a Muslim. I know that many people just stick to their own kind, even in our multicultural society today, for that reason I might not have been close to the people that I am today if I was Muslim all along. So I like to think that by spontaneously having a member of the group turn Muslim, maybe I've been a good example of a Muslim to them if they hadn't before really got past small talk with different kinds of people, gave them a different insight. Same with family, not for specific reasons, but I know that my brother for example hasn't had any close Muslim friends before, and so might have held some stereotypes towards them. Living with me as his sister and as a Muslim I know that it's expanded his understanding of the religion, even if he didn't intend on opening his mind to it he couldn't deny that he knows more now than he did before. Likewise with other family members, insha'Allah they only see me as bettering myself therefore continuously grow their respect for Muslims and Islam.
6. The love and respect.
I pray for the reverts that have received disrespect or haven't been accepted by the ummah. I myself as I have covered in my post on Acceptance have received nothing but love and respect. I feel like people are so inclined to being kind to reverts, showing so much interest in our stories and making sure that we're okay in general, inviting us to events, to their houses, making sure that we understand everything, going the extra mile to explain even the little things if needs be and ensuring that we have everything that we need. It's this acknowledgement that encourages me even more, it's beautiful that born Muslims see us as being so special, so blessed which Alhamdulillah I without doubt feel.
7. Learning new things.
Not just simply gaining knowledge on something that you already knew about like Maths or Science, but increasing your knowledge in areas that you never even imagined having such an interest for. My best examples would be two things that I love learning most, the History of Islam and gaining the ability to read Arabic, specifically the Qur'an. I used to only dream of being able to read the Arabic scripture in the Qur'an, something that looked in my eyes so complex and insanely difficult, now? All praise and thanks be to Allah I'm getting there with my reading and recitation and I already know more about the lives of those who we look up to in Islam, I only wish to become more knowledgable in these aspects (and the rest) insha'Allah.
8. Coming from a family without culture or religion.
&
9.Adapting in your own way.
I just think that coming from a family like this has really allowed me to find myself, though I'm still doing so. Allowed me to be how I wish, dress as I wish, to find my own beliefs, find Islam, discover who I want to be. Um I dunno, I feel like basically it's let me be unique in who I am and to be true to myself if this is making sense. Not that I'm saying everybody born into culture and religion can't be themselves, but I've become somebody that I myself have developed, not that say my Dad has carved me to become.
I've joint 8 and 9 as adapting in my own way is something that is a result of number 8. With number 9 I mean I can take what I wish from the sisters that I surround myself with and I can build parts of them within myself, or even physically take inspiration from how they dress. For example the main centre that I go to is majority Iranians, and as I'm new to everything I can adapt to their culture which I love, but there are also things which I can leave behind if I wish. I'll just apologise in advance for these kind of things that evidently I can't explain in words.
10. People, simple.
I love this insight that I've had to people that I would have never experienced without becoming Muslim therefore attending classes, events and mosque with them. There are so many inspiring and great people out there that unfortunately we won't get the chance to meet, but I'm thankful as of yet for the ones that I've met so far. I've been enlightened by reciters and poets and Islamic speakers and all kinds of generally great people, may Allah bless them always.
Hopefully everything that I've covered has somewhat made sense, and that I've gave you an insight to the life of a revert and why it's such a beautiful blessing. Please now just take a moment to recite Surah-E-Fatihah for the mo'mineen. Thank you for reading, if you have any comments, suggestions or feedback then feel free to leave them below.
Eltemase Dua.
اللّهُمّ صَلّ عَلَى مُحَمّدٍ وَآلِ مُحَمّدٍ
اللّهُمّ صَلّ عَلَى مُحَمّدٍ وَآلِ مُحَمّدٍ
Comments
Post a Comment