﷽
(In the name of Allah, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful)السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُه
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
(May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you all)
The aim of this post is to cover the beauty of acceptance in Islam. If you don't have an understanding of the character that most true Muslims possess, you might be worried about several things when entering the religion or hearing of somebody close to you doing so. I know that some of my family members worried about things like my race, language barriers, generally making friends within the mosque and so on. I didn't worry much myself as having looked into Islam a lot and already having many lovely Muslim friends, I had faith in the Ummah. I was right in having such faith, as up to now I could probably count the negative approaches I've had since coming into Islam on one hand. The positive ones? Endless.
Going into college after I started wearing the hijab, I got so many smiles and kind comments from people that I didn't even know. A lot of people asked whether I'm new to the college funnily enough, and just to quickly summarise - both Muslims and non-Muslims showed interest, offering their help if ever I needed the likes of hijabs, clothing, prayer mats or books.
Now for the centre that I attend; when I enter I am greeted only by smiles, hugs, triple cheek kisses and Salaams. Alhamdulillah I see everybody there as my family and it's so homely to me that I would happily sleep over, the comfortable sofas help. Just from my first visit, I knew that it was the kind of place where I could sit indulging myself in books to my heart's content - then the Sheikh practically confirmed the family kind of vibe there before I'd even met anybody, there aren't enough positive adjectives to describe that man. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my weekends than in Islamic classes at the centre with the greatest group of people, may Allah shower endless blessings upon them all. We're all of different ages and levels in class yet I've never felt as though I'm below them. There are a group of sisters there that I especially feel like I've already known forever, that I couldn't possibly express my appreciation for in words; Dentist Sara, Sweetest Sara (she toootally didn't tell me to write that) and Fatima, wife of the class comedian I guess.
I genuinely don't think that anybody could utter a bad word about Dentist Sara. I spent most nights of Ramadan along with the nights of Laylatul Qadr as though there was an invisible string taking me anywhere she went and SubhanAllah I couldn't think of a more inspiring soul to spend those nights with; for those reasons she can be forgiven for her strange food combinations.
On top of that I can't deny how sweet the other Sara actually is, so I gotta give her credit for naming herself... I bonded with her through inappropriate laughter mid-class. Since coming closer it's a blessing to know that we reflect happiness onto each other and if ever I'm not smiling, one moment with her changes that.
Fatima too has a personality with each of these aspects, positivity radiating from her face as she shares stories or offers advice; an inspiration all the same even if she knows not.
MashaAllah/Allahumma Barik Laha to them all - but before this becomes a post of praise to people that most of my readers won't know (you're missing out), my point is that acceptance is true and there was nothing to worry about before I reverted to Islam. I've gained big sisters, little sisters and father-like figures that I know I can rely on/approach with questions at any time and I couldn't be more thankful.
The positive vibes don't stop there, even just in the street I've received more respect than ever, little things that mean a lot like smiles, Salaams from strangers, and sisters asking ME (?!) for advice on hijab. I'll end with a quote that comes to mind from Imam Ali (AS) that applies to all of us - "People are of two kinds, either your brothers in faith, or your equals in humanity", keep this in mind when meeting or dealing with people and insha'Allah you will all experience the beauty of acceptance as I have - the best part is that I was accepted for being me and never felt the need to try to change, if I did then it was because the people that I surround myself with only inspire me to become a better version of me.
Eltemase Dua.
اللّهُمّ صَلّ عَلَى مُحَمّدٍ وَآلِ مُحَمّدٍ
Comments
Post a Comment