﷽
(In the name of Allah, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful)
السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُه
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
(May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you all)
It's clear that I'm a new Muslim, Alhamdulillah. But how did I come to be walking on this path of righteousness, peace and contentment. This post will probably be written as though I'm just talking sponteneously to a friend, since I haven't planned it and sometimes the journey isn't even clear to myself - which is why I (as I'm sure we all do) have a connection with the verses in The Qur'an "And He found you lost and guided you, and He found you poor and made you self-sufficient" [93:7] and [93:8]. I was blessed enough for Allah s.w.t to find me worthy of his endless mercy, blessed enough for him to guide me to Siraat al-Mustaqeem (the straight path), and every day without doubt I thank Him for that.
So I've believed in God since I remember, despite never being part of any religion when I was younger. I was never Christened and the only reason I ever remember going to Church was on school trips to watch people eat bread and drink wine, something like that... I just know that I believed that there was a Heaven, and that that's where my Mum was because 'God needed another angel'. I would always tell myself this and it's what anybody would say to me when conversation about my Mum came about. She passed away when I was 2 years old, so yeah, young age and lack of understanding of such things. As I got older I would question these things more, but I don't have the clearest of memories when it comes to my childhood so I'm going to skip forward since it was only late High School days that the thoughts started to take effect.
It was in High School that I started to notice different cultures and religions, seeing many girls wear the headscarf and so on. It wasn't long until I met my best friend in year 8, still my best friend to this day Masha'Allah. Funny side note, we call her Mash, and when I first came across somebody commenting "Masha'Allah" on one of her Facebook photos I thought it was some secret religious thing and that that's why she was really called Mash... Haa. Okay back on topic, High School brought some thoughts about Islam and triggered an interest generally in other religions - just due to discussing different beliefs in R.E lessons, observing Mash, observing Muslims, thinking about how my behaviour was different to theirs and so on. That's all it was at that point, slight interests that I kept to myself, I would have never thought back then that there would come a day where I would revert to Islam, Subhan'Allah.
![]() |
I've decided that I should section these posts off, so let's say that this is the boring and brief one - until I get on to the details of any research, prayer, emotional moments etc etc. I'd say that by the time I started college, I was still just at the point where I believed in God, and having then lived in a really multicultural area for a few years, mainly Muslim, I definitely had the growing interest in Islam. I would walk by mosques in my area and be silently amazed by the amount of people going in or coming out, creating a real strong sense of unity within the Muslim community that is so often wrongly/negatively perceived by many. It got to a point where just saying that I believed in God wasn't enough. I had Muslim friends in college and from High School and so I started to ask questions. Alhamdulillah, within a couple of weeks of starting college I met an amazing friend in perfect timing because this person taught me anything that I wanted to know about Islam, and the beauty of Islam was revealed to me through their passion, I was finally being enlightened to what I really wanted to know. إن شاء الله my next post will go on to how I started to look further into things and how I changed as a person after that. I guess this post was just about how I got to that point...
Eltemase dua.
اللّهُمّ صَلّ عَلَى مُحَمّدٍ وَآلِ مُحَمّدٍ


Comments
Post a Comment